Thursday, December 11, 2014

Throwback Travel: Phuket '13

Ugh why didn't I start blogging a year before, I would have had so many travel posts by now! But I guess that's okay, we got throwback thursday now right? Whoever invented that, props to you! *wink*

"Passengers, please fasten your seat belts. We are about to arrive at the Phuket International Airport."  I quickly finished my lunch meal (Yes! Lunch was provided!) and buckled up. I was lucky I got the window seat because the aerial view was absolutely stunning. The sun was shining brightly on the Andaman Sea, making it sparkle as we flew across it. With a bit of your imagination, the whole view actually looked like little green chess pieces floating on a dark turquoise board, absolutely gorgeous.

I've been to Thailand a little more than ten times now and I can assure you, Thailand is one of those places where you would never get bored of. I discovered so much more about this incredible country every time I came back.

The hotel we stayed in was the Millennium Resort Patong Phuket. It is a five star resort, and according to their website description, is "located in the heart of Patong and tucked within the fashionable Jungceylon shopping centre - Phuket's trendy shopping hub." Well, what more could I say? Best resort ever! Oh, and did I mention we got a 5-day package for around 600USD INCLUDING AIR TICKETS (From Hong Kong to Phuket)? SCORE.

Random stranger photobombing, but oh wells, everyone's having fun!
Speaking of fun, what's more fun than traveling with all your besties at the same time! From taking tuk-tuks to shopping in a local supermarket to having a traditional Thai massage to watching a lady-boy show, everything was extra fun with them around me.


Nope. Totally not lusting for a Phuket getaway in this cold brutal Rhode Island winter right now. The thing I like about Thailand is that you could always experience different culture about the country. Bangkok is more of the city side of Thailand while Phuket is the relaxation side of it. You could always "island hop" (if there's even such a word) - go to different islands by speedy boats or planes.

My friends and I went to this tiny island called Racha Yai Island (Raya) on the second day. It was a 45 minute speedy boat ride from the west of Phuket, which was kind of bad if you get seasick easily like me. Just take some motion sickness pills an hour before your journey and you'll be fine though! Racha Yai Island is approximately 20km (or 12.4 miles for my American readers) south of Phuket and is known as one of the most excellent diving or snorkelling day trip destinations. See for yourself!


Beautiful, isn't it? If you want to stay overnight or even spend a week at Racha Yai, be sure to check out Trip Advisor's resort recommendations! It has listed out all the possible resorts and hotels you could find at this magical island.

Next and final stop, Patong. I don't even know where to start. We left a whole day for Patong Beach because we knew it was going to be one hella CRAZY day. Well, as a mad water lover, I obviously went directly to the water sports 'centre'. 'Centre' because it wasn't really a centre but more of a sheltered spot with people offering great deals for various water activities. With around 1500 baht ($45 USD), we got to jet ski, parasail and ride on the banana boat. As much fun as they are, do keep in mind water sports here carry some degree of risk - operators are seldom insured and an increasingly common scam is people blackmailing tourists for damages to the equipment that were already there. Yet, other than that, everything was wonderful about Patong. 


I can safely say this was probably one of my favourite trips I have had so far; such a bummer we only got to stay for 5 days though. There's still so much stuff to do in Phuket! (Take out my travel notebook) Like, experience Phuket's nightlife (I heard it's insane!), hike across Khao Sok National Park, and of course, watch a Thai boxing tournament. 

But for now, goodbye Phuket, I'd be back soon. 

"Don't live the same year 75 times and call it a life. Get out of your comfort zone. Explore the world. Meet new people. Befriend animals. Take pictures with them. Sit on the wet salty sand. Have a photoshoot with your friends once in a while. Who cares what others think about you. It's your life. It's time to start living it."

What about you? What's your favourite #ThrowbackTravel?

No comments:

Post a Comment