Monday, November 10, 2014

My Hawaiian Jiminy Cricket - Rosie


Rosalie Roberts, or ROSIEEE I would call her, was one of my roommates last year in Hawaii. And let me tell you, she is the craziest, most daring and adventurous friend I could have ever asked for in my entire life. This girl is insane! Like me, a good old adventure never fails to excite her.

We surfed at six in the morning, longboarded down Mauna Kea (In case you don’t know, that’s the tallest mountain on earth. And nope, Mount Everest isn’t), jumped off cliffs and waterfalls and even swam with wild spinner dolphins. I am honestly so blessed and grateful to had her as my roommate. She inspired me to become a better person, a healthier person, both physically and spiritually. I remember how she would secretly put veggies in my dinner and would not leave until I finish every single bit of it. And how we would skate to church every Sunday and walk barefoot to class all the time. Rosie is like Jiminy Cricket; she is always able to bring the best in me.


 
I would be lying if I say I don't miss her at all. But unfortunately I wouldn't be able to room with her again. Why? Remember how I said she's a daring person? Well, she took the risk of dropping out of college and has moved to Maui and is working on a cruise ship right now. 

Some might say, “Oh she dropped out of college so what? A lot of teens do that!”

True true, you have your point. But did I mention she is from Utah? Her family and friends are all in Utah. I don’t exactly know how far it is away from Hawaii, but it is far, trust me. I went there in summer and the plane ride was approximately six hours long! Anyway, back to my point, isn’t she one fierce lady? In fact, she is currently in the Philippines right now. (Rosie, if you’re reading this, can I please have your life?)

I was talking to her on the phone the other day and I thought of my travel writing homework. How perfect it is to actually write a post about her instead of just including bits and bots of certain conversations we had.

If you want to get out of your comfort zone and start living the life you’ve always dreamed of, then continue reading this post.  The "interview" I had with Rosie might be able to give you some inspiration and help you out a little bit. 


So Rosie, Has anybody ever told you that you were crazy?

Haha! Sometimes, yeah. But hey! Being crazy is a natural reaction to chasing your passion. Keep that in mind!

Where did your love of adventure come from?

It’s definitely not something I’ve had from an early age. Growing up in Utah, I didn’t really do much. I love the ocean, but unfortunately, Utah doesn’t have any oceans! Maybe that’s the reason why I wanted to move to Hawaii so badly. I got to do so much here. I love it.

What's the craziest thing you have done so far?

Um... I'm not sure actually. Going to college and moving to Hawaii I guess? It's a huge step for me! But if you want me to be specific then probably the time where I got to snowboard and surf at the same day.

What do you love most about the ocean?

Honestly, everything. The sea creatures, the waves, the plants... Everything. Don't you think it's incredible though? To be able to feel so detached from the world yet be at one with it on the same time when you're underwater.

Any tips on life in general?

Don't live the same year 75 times and call it a life. Get out of your comfort zone. Explore the world. Meet new people. Befriend animals. Take pictures with them. Sit on the wet salty sand. Have a photoshoot with your friends once in a while. Who case what people think about you. It's your life. It's time to start living it. 


I've found my Jiminy Cricket, what about you? Have you found yours yet?


Rosie and I. Ignore my bruised chin, fell off my longboard haha!



No comments:

Post a Comment