Sunday, December 7, 2014

Thanksgiving in New York

I have never had a traditional thanksgiving dinner before. This year was no exception. Since both our families are in Hong Kong and we don't really celebrate Thanksgiving there, Jasmie and I decided to head off to New York and spend 4 days there for *cough* Black Friday *cough*.

One thing when I got off at Penn Station for sure was that I am glad I'm from good old Hong Kong; that I was born in a city twice as busy as NYC. People were literally everywhere. Some rushing around with multiple luggages and some trying to catch on the earliest train back home. You name it! You remember the Ministry of Magic Headquater in Harry Potter? Yeah. It's basically the same thing except you'd be squished by muggles instead of wizards. (Damn it!) Having been in Hawaii for a year, I had forgotten what's it like to be in a city. I have to admit I was quite overwhelmed at first. But after a while, I got used to it and it felt like home again. Oh how I miss those days where I had to squeeze into the subway for school, or how I would rather stand under a pungent armpit for an hour than waiting for the next bus to come.
Wandering NYC was fun, especially when you're in a Christmasy mood. Everyone seem to be extra nice during this time of the year, don't you think so? Apart from potentially breaking our feet from all those shopping, Jasmie and I also went up to the Empire State Building. We got the express tickets just so we could skip the three hour waiting time and go directly up to the 86th floor. And let me tell you, it was so worth the extra $50 because the view was phe-no-men-al.
Isn't it gorgeous? The whole Manhattan looked like a giant Christmas tree decorated with sparkling ornaments and fairy lights! BEAUTIFUL.
And what is New York without a Broadway show right? I've seen "Singing In The Rain" back in 2012 in London before and I absolutely loved it. The Lion King was a zillion times better though. (Don't get me wrong, Singing In The Rain was incredible but the Lion King has taken it to a whole new level.) The effects were out of the world and the costumes and music were unbelievable. They sounded just like the original movie. There are honestly no adequate words to describe the performance other than it's worth every penny you paid. Definitely, definitely go watch it if you have a chance!
Four days in New York City was not enough at all. We barely even did anything! So many things to do yet so little time. I hate that. I can't wait to come back and explore more because my friend, New York City has already become one of my favourite place on the planet! Cheers to you NY!


"New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothin' you can't do
Now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
The lights will inspire you."

No comments:

Post a Comment